Why the predominance of dream catcher imagery?
Posted by: Preston Eleven ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:56AM

What is up with all of the dream catchers on album covers lately? Are we in a second grade arts and crafts class?!

Single Mothers s/t 7in

Praise "Growing. Changing. Healing" 7in

Gypsy "Giants Despair" LP

Absolutely disturbing.

Options:  ReplyQuote
Re: Why the predominance of dream catcher imagery?
Posted by: Coregasm ()
Date: May 24, 2012 06:15AM

Dreamcatchers. One of my biggest pet peeves. Ugh.

Posted by: Frosty Flakes ()
Date: May 24, 2012 07:42AM

That is incredibly lame. I don't get that at all.

"Now it's my will against yours and you will lose. So don't forget, 0600. That's six o'clock in the morning for those of you who don't habla."

Posted by: Moe ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:34AM

Not sure why they used catchers but don't let that keep you from picking up the Praise and esp. Gypsy releases (don't know about the Single Mothers).

These two records are great.

Posted by: mtm ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:53AM

i really dont give a shit about the band names/imagery. thankfully theres enough diversity with the current hc bands right now. praise and gypsy are both really good bands. its too bad they dont play out more.

i think its useless discussing some of these things. there are so many possible band names out there than can be used by core music...what more do you want? what kind of imagery would you use with your band? more rehashed finger pointing or whatever? bands are just trying to do something a bit different...

whether its a hc band using hot air balloons, or an x'd fist design in mass production.

if you want to go to second grade art class check out some hand drawn covers of ___________

im not going to speak to the single mothers ep cuz it looks stupid.

praise cover was done by kev secs, and i happen to appreciate how it looks.

the gypsy cover though somewhat odd having a little girl in what looks to be a bed...ya not what i would have done myself but whatever...its someones cover direction/photo taken.

im up for trying to discuss these things but the approach is a bit off, plus i dont like the critical slant. i tend to just accept most of these things as part of someones overall design/direction/thought process. it almost wouldnt be truely theirs if it was any different. its what they wanted/intdended...unless of course the imagery used was a last resort.

im really not keen on have hearts TTWC lp cover art...but i like the music. im just not into that style of design, but i do see how it works for that album.

Posted by: Pay To Cum ()
Date: May 24, 2012 11:23AM

michael fairley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>the gypsy cover though somewhat odd having a
> little girl in what looks to be a bed...ya not
> what i would have done myself but whatever...its
> someones cover direction/photo taken.
>

Why is this "odd"? She's catching her dreams man! haha

Posted by: Preston Eleven ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:12PM

michael fairley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i really dont give a shit about the band
> names/imagery. thankfully theres enough diversity
> with the current hc bands right now. praise and
> gypsy are both really good bands. its too bad they
> dont play out more.
>

Don't get me wrong. I am not criticizing the music these bands make at all. I actually like what I have heard from all three bands. I just think it is kind of interesting that all of a sudden these three very recent releases all have dream catchers prominently displayed on their covers. In a scene that doesn't tend to use that kind of imagery, it is quite a curious phenomena.

And yes, I personally HATE dream catchers. They instantly make me think of either grade school art classes or old hippies / people that are "spiritual". Not down in any possible way. However, as much as I despise dream catchers with every ounce of my being, I love the idea of free expression even more so bands, if you want to have whack cover art, have at it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 05:14PM by Preston Eleven.

>>>>>>>What's with the Predominance of Christian Gospel Hardcore Band names?
Posted by: Spencer Crispe ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:21AM

I strongly dislike the name Praise, all their artwork, the whole aesthetic of the band entirely.
However, musically, lyrically, and as people they're fucking awesome and that's what matters most.

Same goes with the band Peace, Have Heart etc...

Not sure what's up with a lot of band names these days. You see a flyer and it looks more like a flyer for a Christian Gospel Church Bazaar.

Praise
Sweet Jesus
Peace
Sacred Love
Give
Have Heart

I absolutely love all these bands, but the names sound like bands that would be played on the Trinity Broadcasting Network Pat Robertson Televangelist Old Tyme Gospel Hour.

Re: >>>>>>>What's with the Predominance of Christian Gospel Hardcore Band names?
Posted by: Chadski ()
Date: May 24, 2012 01:57PM

Praise, i would guess that's a 7Seconds reference. Sacred Love, that's a bad brains reference..

Re: >>>>>>>What's with the Predominance of Christian Gospel Hardcore Band names?
Posted by: mtm ()
Date: May 24, 2012 02:53PM

thats right chadski...a very obvs 7sex ref for the uneducated

Posted by: Spencer Crispe ()
Date: May 25, 2012 08:24AM

I'm well aware that Praise is a 7secs reference and Sacred Love is from i against i. (7 Seconds are my 2nd favorite band of all-time and I love the Praise EP.)

That doesn't mean that electing to name your band that doesn't still sound like the Old Tyme Gospel Hour!!

Posted by: B. Edge ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:53PM

Speaking of 4th grade arts and crafts, people should start putting god's eyes on record covers. Remember those things?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.